Saturday, February 18, 2006

Tit for tat

I've been told that Wagner's music is better than it sounds.

—Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

The Kirov Opera from St. Petersburg, Russia, is coming to the Kennedy Center next week to sing two performances of Richard Wagner's last and most controversial opera, Parsifal. Many of you may recall that last July I danced as a supernumerary with the Kirov Ballet at the Kennedy Center, so I'm excited to see the Marinsky Theater people come back. Anyway, I got a special opportunity this morning to acquire tickets at substantially less than the $200 per person retail price and I immediately pounced on the chance to get them. Then I promptly emailed my Russian friend Svet and told him that we were going to an opera opening on Tuesday night and that he was going to clear his schedule and go with me.

Well, he said yes.

Then he announced that we were going ice skating tonight. My stomach immediately knotted. I reminded him that I didn't know how to ice skate (or roller blade) and that I am totally non-athletic, but he insisted. After just obligating him to a five and a half hour long opera in one of the few European languages he doesn't speak (German), I couldn't very well refuse to do what he wanted to do. :-(

No comments: