Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Opera tonight?

I'm going to the opera (A View from the Bridge) at the Kennedy Center tonight all by myself. Is anybody else going? I'd love to get together for a cocktail or something at the intermission. My ticket is H 12, orchestra right. Lemme know!

I'm really excited to be going to Washington National Opera tonight. Their tickets are so dreadfully expensive (orchestra seats can be as much as $220 for a non-gala performance!), that I seldom go unless I know people in the cast, or the opera is unusual or a new work, as is the case tonight.

This particular new opera is based on the play by Arthur Miller. Miller, who was formerly married to Marilyn Monroe, also wrote the play, The Crucible, and I've previously sung the opera (music by Robert Ward) based on it. The music tonight is by a guy called William Bolcom, who is a pianist and composer on faculty at the University of Michigan. He received the commission for this work from Lyric Opera of Chicago, where it premiered in 1999 to great critical and popular acclaim. While he's written a lot of stuff, I don't recall ever having heard any of it before, and Bridge is his most famous oeuvre. So, it should be a very, very interesting evening.

No comments: