Sunday, April 27, 2008

Speechifying

Yesterday was the regional DeMolay speech tournament over in Fairfax, Va., and I got drafted into serving as a judge to listen to state winners from the mid-Atlantic area. Winner got $500 and a trip to Anaheim, Calif., this summer for the national competition (where the prize jumps up to $1500!). The worst thing about youth speech contests is always the topic—this time it was "America: What's Right with It." Gag. LOL

Walked in the door and the first thing that happened was that some people from Pennsylvania remembered me from twenty-five years ago! It always amazes me when that happens....I have such a bad memory for names and faces.

The grand master (national president) was there from Kentucky. First I'd met him.....seemed very nice. Here are some pictures of the winners with the grand master, and also a shot of us judges with him.

speakers_GM

judges_GM

1 comment:

40 Something said...

I love Pat Hart he is a wonderful guy, but he has been pushing that "whats right with America" theme as a speech or essay for almost 25 years. At a Ky Regional Meeting organized by Pat he made that the theme in the late 80's when I was a DeMolay, 12 years later at a state meeting I was drafted to judge a competitioner by Pat and the theme appeared again, now he has gone International with it, LOL. If we ever have an inter glactic speech competition, look for Pat and this theme to reappear. Thanks for helping out the young guys of DeMolay with your service.