Sunday, October 19, 2008

Saturday fun

fife2


The local Scottish Rite valley held its annual Americanism program last night to give out awards to D.C. public schools junior ROTC students. They also had as a speaker Ivan Ware, one of the original Tuskegee Airmen, who gave quite an interesting talk. One of the other bits of entertainment included the Williamsburg Field Musick, the trio pictured above that gives lectures around the area telling about the use of music in the early American armies. I had to go, too, since I was singing and playing the national anthem, and I played the prelude.

They had a great standup dinner beforehand with heavy hors d'oeuvres and a raw bar featuring some of the best, plumpest oysters I've had in years. I chatted with the caterer afterwards, and he told me they came from the Chesapeake Bay and had been harvested just yesterday morning. Yum.

No comments: