Saturday, April 22, 2006

Movie reports

It was Svet's first day back from his fortnight in Poland, having arrived at Dulles late Wednesday, so I let him decide what all we were going to do Thursday. They must not have movie theaters in Poland, cause the activity he picked us for Thursday evening was to go to a movie. He knows of my fascination and interest with Josh Hartnett, so he was nice and picked Lucky Number Slevin for our movie.

The movie was pretty good. Josh is actually learning how to act! And, best of all, he spends a great deal of time in the movie wearing nothing but a towel!

There was a surprisingly strong cast for the movie. Of course, Josh and Bruce Willis were the headliner stars, but the principal cast was full of major names like Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Lucy Liu. The movie isn't going to win any Academy Awards, but it was thoroughly enjoyable and I didn't regret paying for my ticket.

_________________________


I was still being nice yesterday and despite my several suggestions for alternative activities, last night he decided he wanted to go see yet another movie! I think his time in Poland must have stunted his social skills. I tried to steer him in several different movie directions, but he insisted on seeing Thank You for Smoking. All I can say is that I'm glad he paid for my ticket and I didn't have to spend any money on it.

This flick stars Aaron Eckhart as Nick Naylor, a lobbyist for the smoking and tobacco industry, and his nemesis Senator Ortolan K. Finistirre played by William H. Macy. Robert Duvall offers an excellent perfomance in the small part of "The Captain," and cameo roles are filled by Rob Lowe, Sam Elliott, and Katie Holmes. The script is filled with tired stereotypes and clichés designed for cheap laughs.

Save your money.

No comments: