Thursday, January 18, 2007

Channelling Cleopatra

me1


Do you think I look like Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra? (Yes, I know it's a dreadful picture.)

Romeo and Juliet #2 went just fine. Actually, after opening night of any production, I always find that things quickly fall into a routine, so my challenge is always maintaining focus and keeping my performance just as fresh late in the run as it was for the audience on opening night.

Those of you who've done plays, musicals, operas, or ballets with either guest artists or touring companies know how the backstage areas are peppered with signs pointing out directions to this, that, or the other. This production is no different, only all of the signs are in Russian, using the Cyrillic alphabet. I am, therefore, constantly lost, since there are no English signs telling me where to go (hence I've not yet gone downstairs to the artists and crew canteen to eat).

The other problem is that all of the calls are in Russian! That means that when the stage manager gets on the backstage PA system to say how much time we have before curtain or who is being called to the stage to get ready for an entrance, I can't understand a word! My Russian is limited to yes, no, hello, goodbye, thank you, and vodka, and I've yet to hear any of those words during the calls.

There is a dancer in the corps who looks just like my friend Justin, except he's shorter and his hair is dark brown.

I took a few more pictures last night, though not many. Rather than post them here, I'm going to put them in a Flickr album and you can click the link to view them if you so desire.

Ballet photo album.

No comments: