Sunday, January 21, 2007

Closing day

closing12closing11


It was a magical moment to emerge from the stage door this afternoon to find Washington being gently blanketed with a light layer of snow!

Alas, I don't think we'll have any snow on the ground to speak of tomorrow morning. It's already stopped snowing and the streets and sidewalks aren't even covered. It's just been too warm around here of late. At least we finally got a little bit of winter weather this season.

We danced to our fifth sold-out house in a row this afternoon. It went well, as usual. The Juliet today, Evgenya Obraztosova, was very good, and she's probably my favorite of the lot this week. She's young at 23, but a lovely dancer and very, very expressive. The Romeo did his backwards fall down the steps from a crouching position.

Oh, I mentioned that one of my fellow supernumeraries had been an editor of Penthouse magazine. I discovered today that he was one of the founders of High Times magazine back in the 70s—and today he looks so preppy and bankerly! People I know who are former hippies and former (well, hopefully) potheads always tickle me. I'm so glad I'm a "generation Jones" person! I never could relate to the hippies. My generation's affectation was worshipping The Official Preppy Handbook and collecting Lacoste shirts. Which reminds me, I still have both a Polo shirt and a Tommy Hilfiger shirt from their original years of manufacture back in the late 70s and early 80s, plus an Abercrombie and Fitch tiny checked flannel shirt from the "outdoorsy" days before A & F went metrosexual.

closing09My knees are very sore tonight. When dancers do their "turn-out," they're supposed to turn their legs out from the hip joint, but when they are either untrained or out of practice, they often turn out from the knees, which is bad...I've obviously been turning out from my knees. :-( You know, most of these professional ballet danseurs start thinking about retirement once they hit 30. Did I mention I'm getting too old for this?

So much to do now. I got very behind this week with the ballet.

No comments: