Sunday, July 17, 2005

Bastille Day

Once again it's time to celebrate the French independence day. Or, at least it was last Thursday.

One of my friends and I made a late afternoon appearance at the Hirschhorn Museum (the "modern art" place at the Smithsonian) to see the Visual Music exhibit. The exhibit wasn't at all what I was expecting, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It was just different. There were a few paintings where the artist painted what he "saw" from listing to a work of music. Most of the art was odd film or visually created projections. Part of the charm of the exhibit was that it wasn't recent art, but earlier 20th century works. We also looked at the permanent collection, and I saw this one multimedia sculpture that reminded me a lot of my friend Tony back in Tulsa. No more wire hangers?

No more wire hangers!


Then, we were in another room and saw some particularly bizarre modern art, and then I looked up on the back wall and saw how they were keeping us from escaping the world of modernism.

window

No comments: