Saturday, July 9, 2005

Two a Days

GrigoryFernando
Merchant


Ah, another day, another two paychecks.....we did two performances today, a matinee and an evening show, and surprisingly enough my foot is still attached. Did any of you ever do two-a-days in football practice in high school? The principal dancers, of course, rotate and don't have to dance twice in the same day, but all of the corps and supernumeraries do every show.

The crowd tonight was particularly enthusiastic and it looked very nearly full. This afternoon, I stayed to watch the second and third acts from the house, and got a lovely box seat from which to do it. All I had to do was waive my backstage pass around the ushers and they directed me to an unused seat. The sets were surprisingly elaborate. The second act is set in a cave, but actually a complex cave with lots of detail and many surfaces. The third act takes place in a harem in a very ornate setting and there are three large water fountains that bubble up high during portions of the act. One of the funny things that happened this afternoon in the first act was one of the lead dancers had "painted" his beard, moustache, sideburns, etc., on with eyebrow pencil, and he managed to get a huge black smudge on the prima ballerina's white tights just above her right knee on the outside, and I couldn't keep my eyes off the black spot for the rest of the act!

Tomorrow afternoon is the last show. I hear the Russians are flying straight out to London after the show. They're booked for a run at Covent Garden.

No comments: